Published on Thursday 14, July 2022
Position: Board Member & Treasurer (Voluntary)
The Board of the Inner Melbourne Community Legal (IMCL) is seeking to appoint a new board member and treasurer.
As a member of the Board, the incumbent will share responsibility and decision making with other board members for the overall governance of the organisation.
As Treasurer, the incumbent also leads the financial oversight of the organisation and ensures that IMCL is working within the regulatory and legal frameworks and to the agreed financial plan.
As IMCL is a mid-sized non-profit organisation, the incumbent must be prepared to engage with the CEO and Finance Manager on practical financial management issues.
IMCL is widely known as one of Victoria’s leading, innovative, strong community legal centres.
IMCL acknowledges that our office and our catchment area are situated on Wurundjeri land. We acknowledge the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation as the traditional owners and spiritual custodians of the land and pay our deepest respects to their elders past and present.
We advance social justice, and our vision is an Australia where the law is fair and everyone has access to legal help, a place where there is a shared sense of fairness and wellbeing.
We achieve this by delivering best-practice innovative services, building strategic partnerships and advocating for fairer laws, fairer legal outcomes and improved wellbeing in our local community through the law. IMCL does this by advocating for individual clients, challenging unfair laws and systems for everyone, and educating our community about the law.
In late 2021, Inner Melbourne Community Legal and Flemington-Kensington CLC voted to merge, and this newly consolidated organisation now operates as IMCL. A merger of such community-anchored organisations required a fair and transparent merger process honoring the histories of both organisations while ensuring the new entity was in a strong position to serve local communities.
Today, the new IMCL boasts broad and deep capability, a sustainable business model and trusted relationships with partners and the communities for which it works tirelessly. We have been assisting the most vulnerable people who live in or engage with services in the Melbourne CBD, North Melbourne, Carlton, Parkville, Docklands, Flemington, Kensington and West Melbourne.
We also gratefully acknowledge the many firms, organisations and individuals who have supported us. More information can be found on our website (https://imcl.org.au).
Skills and Experience
This role will best suit an individual with accountant, financial controller, or Chief Financial Officer experience. Please note that this is a voluntary position. The successful Candidate will need to demonstrate a mix of the following skills and experience:
• Experience of current corporate governance relevant to voluntary and community organisations
• Capability and willingness to oversee the practical operational aspects of the organisation’s finances, including influencing direction, financial management and budget forecasting experience as well as statutory reporting experience
• Overseeing independence and performance of internal and external audit processes
• Strategic planning, critical thinking and influencing skills
• Willingness to uphold IMCL values
• High level of interpersonal skills and a constructive, collaborative approach
• Chartered Accountant or CPA or recent membership of either body
• Experience using business accounting software (IMCL uses Xero)
• Prior experience on a non-profit board or regular provision of reports to a non-profit Board
We foster a work environment that is inclusive as well as diverse and we encourage and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds.
This role requires the following time commitments:
• Attend Board meetings every two months, in person or via video conferencing.
• Participate in at least the Finance, Audit & Risk Sub-Committee. This meets on a Tuesday every quarter.
• Meet monthly with the CEO/Finance Officer and Finance Manager to review the monthly financial reports. This requires approximately 3 hours per month and approximately 1 day during budget finalisation.
For more information about the organisation visit https://imcl.org.au
If you would like more information about this role, please email Philippa Taylor at email@example.com using the subject line: IMCL Board Member and Treasurer (Voluntary) enquiry with some brief details about yourself, and a call back will be arranged.
To apply for the role, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2:00pm (AEST) on 29 July 2022